Never Get Taken Advantage Of
Aggressive Protection for Over 20 Years

Home Blog What to do When a Child Doesn’t Want to Go on Visitation

Once the court has issued orders on custody and visitation, it is your responsibility as a parent to ensure that there is compliance. There are situations where the problem will not be an uncooperative parent but a child that refuses visitation. It is in the child’s best interest to have a healthy relationship with both parents. When unsure to approach such a dilemma, it will make sense to get in touch with a divorce attorney Mesa. Here are some of the things you could do to reduce the friction coming from your child when it comes to visitation.

Explore Reasons Why The Child Might Not Want Visitation With the Parent

There could be myriad reasons why the child doesn’t want visitation. It is important to find out why so as to come with a solution. It is possible that the child might not get along with the other parent’s new partner. There is also a chance that the child might not have gotten along with the other parent even when you were still together.

Legal Reasons To Refuse Visitation

  • Substance abuse
  • Parental kidnapping
  • Sexual misconduct
  • Parental incarceration

Is it Illegal to Withhold Visitation?

The court orders need to be followed unless it is an emergency situation. The court will always decide what is in the best interest of the child. There is a common assumption that a parent can withhold visitation if the supporting parent is late with child support payments. There are other ways you get the parent to catch up with payments but withholding child visitation isn’t one of them.

You also don’t have legal rights to deny visitation simply because the other parent doesn’t have a bedroom for the child. All you need to do is to follow the court orders so as to avoid trouble.

What Happens to Visitation When There is No Court Order?

There are parents that will choose to have an informal arrangement with the parenting plan. This means that the courts won’t be involved in the details of the agreement. This will only work if the parents are amicable and can always make adjustments when necessary without getting into disagreements. The only drawback is the court can’t intervene in any matter since it hasn’t ordered any agreement. The failure to follow the agreement can be used as evidence in the child custody case.

Do You Have to Force the Child to Visit the Other Parent?

If there is some form of physical abuse or molestation from the other parent, you’ll not want them to visit even though the orders dictate so. You can request for modification to the orders as the visits will not be in the best interest of the child.

Jensen Family Law Could Be the Solution For the Visitation Problems

Your duty as a parent is to be fair while at the same time making sure that the court orders are followed. In case you don’t know the legal recourse to take, you can check out

Jensen Family Law

3740 E Southern Ave Suite 210 

Mesa AZ 85206

(480) 999-2321

Social Accounts


Jensen Family Law in Mesa is located on 3740 E Southern Ave Suite 210, 85206 Mesa, Arizona. From Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), Take S 41st St to E Sky Harbor Blvd, then Head west on E Sky Harbor Blvd and Use the left lane to take the exit toward S 41st St. Then Turn right onto S 41st St. After that, Continue straight to stay on S 41st St, then Take AZ-202 Loop E, AZ-101 Loop S and US-60 E to S Val Vista Dr in Mesa. Take exit 184 from US-60 E after that Merge onto E Sky Harbor Blvd, then Use the left 2 lanes to merge onto AZ-202 Loop E toward Tempe/Mesa and Use the right 3 lanes to take exit 9 to Merge onto AZ-101 Loop S. After that, Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 55A-B to merge onto US-60 E toward Globe, then Take exit 184 for Val Vista Dr. Then Continue on S Val Vista Dr to your destination and Turn left onto S Val Vista Dr. Turn right onto E Southern Ave, then Turn left and Destination will be on the right.

We’re open 9AM – 5PM Monday – Friday and we are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

For additional questions you can call us at (480) 999-2321 ro you can find us on Yelp.