Never Get Taken Advantage Of
Aggressive Protection for Over 20 Years

Home How Do I Register Out of State Orders?

How Do I Register Out of State Orders?



As the best child custody lawyers in Mesa AZ we often get asked, “how do I register out of state orders?” I get a lot of clients who come in and have got an issue with a custody order that’s from another state. Now at one point, they were living in another state and now my client has moved into the state and wants to know what can be done. Well, just because you have a custody order in another state doesn’t mean that it will always remain in that state. There is a set of laws called the uniform child custody jurisdiction enforcement act or U.C.C.J.E.A. to make it a little bit more simple. But you don’t have to worry about the title, that’s what the lawyers worry about. But in reality, it details how we deal with custody orders from one state to another. When you have a custody order in one state, if everybody moves into Arizona, for example, you can transfer that custody order into Arizona, you register a year and then Arizona has jurisdiction to enforce the custody order and also to modify the custody order. What orders you had when your kids were three really don’t often apply when they’re fifteen, and so it’s typical to need to change custody orders from time to time, especially if there’s been a big life changing event like a move to Arizona for instance.

So you may find yourself in a situation where you’ve got a custody order from another state and now you’re currently living here, and it may be appropriate to register that custody order in Arizona. And once it’s registered here, it can be enforced here and also, if necessary, can be modified here. Not all cases can be registered in Arizona, so it’s not something that in every case would be appropriate. But we offer consultation here at the law offices of Kevin Jensen and we can sit down with you, understand your situation, understand what’s going on in your life and then give you the best advice and decide whether it is necessary to register your out of state custody orders. Please give us a call here at the law offices of Kevin Jensen and we’d be happy to help you out.

For more videos answering common child custody questions click here.

Jensen Family Law in Mesa
3740 E Southern Ave #210,
Mesa, AZ 85206
(480) 999-2321


Jensen Family Law in Mesa is located on 3740 E Southern Ave Suite 210, 85206 Mesa, Arizona. From Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), Take S 41st St to E Sky Harbor Blvd, then Head west on E Sky Harbor Blvd and Use the left lane to take the exit toward S 41st St. Then Turn right onto S 41st St. After that, Continue straight to stay on S 41st St, then Take AZ-202 Loop E, AZ-101 Loop S and US-60 E to S Val Vista Dr in Mesa. Take exit 184 from US-60 E after that Merge onto E Sky Harbor Blvd, then Use the left 2 lanes to merge onto AZ-202 Loop E toward Tempe/Mesa and Use the right 3 lanes to take exit 9 to Merge onto AZ-101 Loop S. After that, Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 55A-B to merge onto US-60 E toward Globe, then Take exit 184 for Val Vista Dr. Then Continue on S Val Vista Dr to your destination and Turn left onto S Val Vista Dr. Turn right onto E Southern Ave, then Turn left and Destination will be on the right.

We’re open 9AM – 5PM Monday – Friday and we are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

For additional questions you can call us at (480) 999-2321 ro you can find us on Yelp.