Never Get Taken Advantage Of
Aggressive Protection for Over 20 Years

Home How Do I Get a Modification to my Child Support Orders in AZ?

How Do I Get a Modification to my Child Support Orders in AZ?



As the best child support lawyers in Mesa AZ, we often get asked, “how do I get a modification to my child support orders in AZ?” Today I want to give you a scenario that I hear quite a bit and especially in the economy that our nation is facing right now, and that is: “2 years ago, 3 years ago, my wife and I or my spouse and I were divorced and I was required to pay X amount of dollars for child support. Well now unfortunately my job has either been cut back in terms of hours or I’ve lost my job altogether. I can’t afford to pay what the judge ordered me to pay in child support 3 years ago. What in the world can I do?”

Why Hire a Child Support Modification Attorney in Mesa

Well in Arizona, what we can do, what we’re allowed to do, is to petition the court to modify your child support order/your obligation. There is a process that you have to go through and that is that you need to file a petition with the court, and you have to explain to the court what has changed. Why should the court now go back and change what the court decided to do 3 years ago? The specific law in Arizona that a person must follow when seeking a change in child support or child custody (any kind of orders relating to the children) is; you’ve got to be able to demonstrate that there’s been a substantial change of circumstances. So an obvious example of that is, “I’ve lost my job.” That’s pretty substantial. That the change is ongoing and that whatever you’re asking the court to do (and this is the most important thing of all) whatever you’re asking the court to do, is going to be in the best interest of the children.

Getting the court to change these things is not easy, however; if you have an experienced Arizona family law attorney, they will know what factors the court looks at when deciding whether or not to modify the child support order. At Jensen Family Law we’ve handled hundreds of modification matters involving child support. We’d love to help you out. Please give us a call to see if we can help you. Thank you.

For more videos answering common child support questions click here.

Jensen Family Law in Mesa
3740 E Southern Ave #210,
Mesa, AZ 85206
(480) 999-2321


Jensen Family Law in Mesa is located on 3740 E Southern Ave Suite 210, 85206 Mesa, Arizona. From Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), Take S 41st St to E Sky Harbor Blvd, then Head west on E Sky Harbor Blvd and Use the left lane to take the exit toward S 41st St. Then Turn right onto S 41st St. After that, Continue straight to stay on S 41st St, then Take AZ-202 Loop E, AZ-101 Loop S and US-60 E to S Val Vista Dr in Mesa. Take exit 184 from US-60 E after that Merge onto E Sky Harbor Blvd, then Use the left 2 lanes to merge onto AZ-202 Loop E toward Tempe/Mesa and Use the right 3 lanes to take exit 9 to Merge onto AZ-101 Loop S. After that, Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 55A-B to merge onto US-60 E toward Globe, then Take exit 184 for Val Vista Dr. Then Continue on S Val Vista Dr to your destination and Turn left onto S Val Vista Dr. Turn right onto E Southern Ave, then Turn left and Destination will be on the right.

We’re open 9AM – 5PM Monday – Friday and we are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

For additional questions you can call us at (480) 999-2321 ro you can find us on Yelp.