Never Get Taken Advantage Of
Aggressive Protection for Over 20 Years

Home Blog Can You Modify a Ruling For a Family Law Case?

When a child custody case or a divorce has been concluded, you might want to amend the terms of the case when they’re not favorable. It doesn’t matter if it has to do with issues with a parenting plan or awarding of custody, it is possible for modifications to be granted as long as some conditions are met. You should be looking for a divorce attorney Mesa so as to explore your options.

Reasons You Might Want to Modify Your Arizona Family Law Case

The reason for seeking such a modification will be unique from one individual to another. Some of the common reasons will include:

  • Change in the schedule of one of the parents making it hard for the current parenting plan to work
  • One parent moves far away
  • The needs of the child will change as they grow older
  • One of the parents remarries

Modifying Spousal Support and Child Support

Child support orders can’t be negotiated. This is true also for some spousal support orders. There could be a clause in the order that allows for adjustments at the end of every year. That means that a modification request can only be heard once a year and there are no guarantees that it will be granted. Request for child support reduction will only be granted if there is more than a 10% change in circumstances for the supporting parent. If the request is granted, another request for modification will only happen after one year.

The orders will also have to be modified once the child becomes an adult or one of the parents gets married again. It is the responsibility of the supporting parent to bring forward a motion once the child graduates from high school or turns 19 years of age.

Child Custody and Child Visitation Modification in Arizona

In the event that one of the parents is moving out of state, there will be a need for drastic changes to the parenting plan that is currently in place. Even plans that were initially 50/50 will have to be modified as it will mean the child spending summer with the parent that has moved out of state. When it comes to matters to do with child custody and visitation, the judge will look at the child’s best interests. There will be a 12 months wait period for any modifications once orders have been issued.

What About Formal Modifications?

If the relationship is amicable, there could be verbal agreements on the modification without necessarily involving the courts. You’ll need to make sure that there is proper documentation even for a verbal agreement. This is because the other parent could use the situation to request for modification because of noncompliance with the original orders yet the decision was mutually reached.

Discuss Modifications With Our Family Law Attorneys

Even if you’re still on good terms with the other parent, you’ll not want to take chances with a verbal agreement. You need to make sure that everything is being done by the look. To learn how we can help, visit

Jensen Family Law

3740 E Southern Ave Suite 210 

Mesa AZ 85206

(480) 999-2321

Social Accounts


Jensen Family Law in Mesa is located on 3740 E Southern Ave Suite 210, 85206 Mesa, Arizona. From Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), Take S 41st St to E Sky Harbor Blvd, then Head west on E Sky Harbor Blvd and Use the left lane to take the exit toward S 41st St. Then Turn right onto S 41st St. After that, Continue straight to stay on S 41st St, then Take AZ-202 Loop E, AZ-101 Loop S and US-60 E to S Val Vista Dr in Mesa. Take exit 184 from US-60 E after that Merge onto E Sky Harbor Blvd, then Use the left 2 lanes to merge onto AZ-202 Loop E toward Tempe/Mesa and Use the right 3 lanes to take exit 9 to Merge onto AZ-101 Loop S. After that, Use the right 2 lanes to take exit 55A-B to merge onto US-60 E toward Globe, then Take exit 184 for Val Vista Dr. Then Continue on S Val Vista Dr to your destination and Turn left onto S Val Vista Dr. Turn right onto E Southern Ave, then Turn left and Destination will be on the right.

We’re open 9AM – 5PM Monday – Friday and we are closed on Saturday and Sunday.

For additional questions you can call us at (480) 999-2321 ro you can find us on Yelp.